Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Social bookmarking

The first time I heard of social bookmarking was a couple of weeks ago in class. Now that I know about it, I can definitely see the many ways that it can help me as a student now. The first thing that came to mind is that it could help me organize resources that I am thinking about using for a research paper or a portfolio. Personally, I know that I might start looking at websites and different sources, just to feel like I'm getting a head start. If I think I find something that I may be able to use, sometimes I'll leave the tab open on the computer or email the link to myself. Social bookmarking can help me save these pages with tags, in order to be organized and help me retain my sanity. :)

In an elementary school classroom, most likely upper elementary, I can see social bookmarking being applied in the same way. It is a good organizational tool. However, it doesn't have to only apply to research and projects. As students become more familiar with the Internet and kid-friendly websites, they may want to keep track of those pages that are good for educational games, or pages that they grow found of. Also, it can be used in as a self help technique. Teachers can ask students to identify something that they may be having trouble with and find good resources on the web that they may want to revisit for help. For example, in Spanish, if students want to bookmark websites that may help them with conjugations or online dictionaries, they may want to bookmark www.wordreference.com with tags like dictionary, Spanish, conjugation etc.

1 comment: